Author Topic: Surgery and nerve damage  (Read 5874 times)

Kirsty

• Private Members
Surgery and nerve damage
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
Hi Steve,

I've had a lady come to me for one treatment for numbness in her leg.  I found her lower back to be solid and very bound up.  I managed to get through a fair bit of this during the first treatment  but her left adductor was a little stubborn which seemed to be pulling her pelvis out.

Now she barely felt any pain during the massage and I think this has come from tolerating pain for quite a long time.  Her pain has now turned to numbness though.    After the first massage she said that she felt looser and her lower back ached somewhat, which I did expect and did pre-warn her.

Yesterday she had a medical appointment and was told that her condition hasn't changed despite the physio, osteopath and everything else that she has tried and the last 3 scans exhibit no change or improvement.  She still has 2 prolapsed discs and the 2 nerves that affect her left leg & foot are still trapped and as its been like this now for 1 year the nerves have became severely damaged.  She was told that it will not get better without surgical intervention and if she does nothing her left foot can become severely debilitated.  She has been put on a waiting list for an op which can take a few months but she is hoping that they are wrong and she can get better.

I still think the SLM can help her and can get the disc off the nerve but the nerve damage is what worries me as am I right in thinking that only time will heal this?  Even if SLM can free the nerve surely as her nerve is damaged she will not get any feeling back in her leg for sometime until the nerve has healed, so how will we know if it is working?  What are your thoughts on this? 

She is reluctant to have the surgery and wants my opinion on this but it sounds to me that perhaps surgery could help on this occasion particularly as time is an issue.

Thanks
Kirsty

steve

• Administrator
    • Balance Your Body With SLM
Re: Surgery and nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
Hi Kirsty, all you can do is loosen and balance her body and see what that brings as far as the nerve symptoms are concerned.

Even if she does require surgery she needs her body around the nerve sorted out for it to be successful and not return.

You and she may be surprised at the improvement you can make doing this or there may be none. If it has been like this for a year there may be some structural damage.

I would imagaine though that a numb leg comes from pressure on the nerve and if that is gone and there is residule damage to the nerve it would show up as tingling.

She may benefit from one of the Bioflex machines as far as getting the pressure off the nerve. I have solda lot of them and the results have been great.

www.backpain.com.au/inversion

Good luck,
Steve

Kirsty

• Private Members
Re: Surgery and nerve damage
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:22:22 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I have passed this info on  - she's really grateful.