Author Topic: Unusually & extremely tender quads & hamstrings 40 yr old builder male.  (Read 4446 times)

Murray.Garrett

• Private Members
Continuing from an earlier post, I currently live in Thailand and by law cannot work, including as a masseur.  However I help (as an interest & hobby) family & friends in our local farming community with multitudes of old injuries from motor bike and industrial accidents & falling off unsafe building sites.  I now massage several monks including the abbots (head monks) of two local temples. One complained to my sister in law of 10 year old pain & numbness in shoulders, arms & lumbar region. This is 90% sorted after 7 massages, 70% on the first treatment!  He referred his friend from another temple in acute lumbar agony.  100% recovery on first treatment but occasional tune-ups will be needed.   Great success with several family members & local friends, frequently on injuries 10 years or more old.   We are in the process of building and I have done several treatments on our head builder who has several years pain & numbness in arms, shoulders and lumbar region down to his knees. The upper part of the body has improved 70% in 4 massages but the lower area gets worse & I do not want to touch him again without some new ideas.  At massage, there are clear indications of severely blocked quad & hamstring muscle groups, particularly the quads.  I have never had anyone as tender as him and it does not de-sensitize during the massage. It gets worse and it becomes worse each time.  Yesterday on his 4th massage I noted a line of tiny bruises down his left quads, just outboard of centre.  I eventually had to abandon massage to his thighs as it was obviously too painful for him and I tried a bonger treatment for several minutes on both thighs, getting gradually heavier, which he said was perfectly comfortable. After the massage I asked my wife to ask if anyone else had massaged him in the last week as I do not leave bruises, even on old ladies. The answer was "No!"   He is a builder & tiler in his late 30's & squats a lot in his work.  He has tried sitting lately, on 4 litre paint tins, as his thighs have become so sore from my treatments.  He is a well built fit looking man with mostly good muscle condition but of course I cannot speak to him without interpretation.  He smokes & he drinks Lau Khao, a cheap (and probably poisonous) local rice whiskey which seems ( I have tried it) one step off being pure un-refined ethanol.  It costs $A4.00 a big beer bottle full.  I mention this as it may mesh in with other peoples experience of hyper sensitivity in alcohol abusing patients. 

I really need some new ideas as I will not massage him again until I have the benefit of some peer advice & wisdom.   I do not say this lightly. I have & do massages on 75 & 80+ year old people with excellent results & no bruising.  This is a fit and apparently healthy 40 year old man and it has really got me stumped!  What am I missing?

PS, A friend of his, also a builder & much older, with the body form of severely malnourished person (knees much bigger than thighs), has had 2 massages which I felt totally negative about and did not expect to do him any good.  He is much more mobile in his joints, more light, free & comfortable since I started.  His elbows & even his shoulders click & graunch with gentle positional movements, and yet says he is happy and improving nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:57:31 PM by Murray.Garrett »

steve

• Administrator
    • Balance Your Body With SLM
Its probably the alcohol Murray and as you suggest its probably poisoning him. Get him to stop drinking for a couple of months and see what improvement happens. You can also use holding nerve points for long periods as an alternative to massaging the muscles as it will be less painful and should release the muscles well.

Good luck,
Steve

Murray.Garrett

• Private Members
OK. In view of the discomfort, he has told my wife, (I didn't know this as I do not speak Thai) that he needs 2 weeks between treatments to recover, so I will not see him this Thursday anyway.  Thanks for the advice, but please clarify the nerve points.  Is this the three pressure points shown in Lesson 1 DVD 1?   If so I will sit down & review the DVD lesson to confirm I am exactly heading for the right places.  I reckon I get at least 2 of them when I do the ITB's after the client has moved onto his back.  I raise the knee up to 90 degrees angle (shortening the distance buttock to heel on the bed), and apply a little pressure onto the onto the side of the leg, just below the knee with my support hand.  This stretches the ITB's & other muscles on the side of the upper leg.  I then stroke with my other hand, down the ITB's, quads & I can actually reach nearly under to the outer hamstrings again.  This is a standard (for me) movement I have developed as part of my cluster of strokes to the quads after the patient has got onto his back.  Are the bongers likely to be of any therapeutic use in this instance on the quads?  He found them completely non-painful.  But no point if you say the don't work here.  I was desperate for ideas last Thursday.   I bet he will not give up the booze until it threatens to stop him working at all.  Alcohol is a huge problem in Thailand.  The cheapness to buy, the poor & probably toxic qualities and the fact that many Asians do not metabolize and burn alcohol as well as westerners.   Thanks again for the help.

steve

• Administrator
    • Balance Your Body With SLM
There are lots of pressure points around the body Murray and I am surprised you haven't been rolling around on a ball and found them all by now. I suggest you do that between now and when you see him again. Yes they are in the first massage lesson and any other sensitive nerve points you have found as you are massaging.

Don't use the bongers. If he won't give up the alcohol and you can't get anywhere with the acupressure tell him you can't help him until he does.

Regards
Steve