Author Topic: When the SLM therapist became the patient  (Read 6216 times)

Kirsty

• Private Members
When the SLM therapist became the patient
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »
Hi Steve/all,

This might be an interesting read for you (abd/or your clients). 

I have been an SLM therapist now for a couple of years now but recently found myself in the same position as most of my clients when I herniated a disc whilst on maternity leave.

I used the SLM self treatment programme to heal myself (using the 2007 programme) to prove that it works and to help other people who might be thinking of trying it out.

Its quite a long read so you may need a cuppa with it.....but I would be really intersted in any feedback :-)

http://www.bodytherapies.org.uk/body-therapies-blog/1-blog-article/33-when-the-slm-therapist-became-the-patient

steve

• Administrator
    • Balance Your Body With SLM
Re: When the SLM therapist became the patient
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for sharing your story it made for interesting reading.

I was thinking while reading it you were not spending enough time on your adductors but rather working your quads a lot. When you have an S1 problem it normally means a twisted pelvis which you achnowledged and the adductors are a big part of that, more than the quads actually.

It sounded like you didn't use a double ball on your erectors (just a single one) and I think that would have worked better. You can rest at each segment and it involves much less twisting of your body to get into position, so is more comfortable to do when you have pain. At each resting point I like to lean my body to one side for a minute then the other side to go deeper into each erector muscles. You might have found using heat before and after the ball work on your erctors would have helped also.

I would have avoided any twisting action from the program while the pain was acute also. The yoga floor exercises would have been best done with limited movement of the actual body just getting the muscles to switch on and cramp if possible would have been best.

Also lots of ball work on the pressure points in the hips. Not sure how much of that you did as it didn't seem to be mentioned specifically.

Finally getting yourself a back brace to hold your pelvis straight and support your back when you had to do things like shopping and for your baby that involved bending, would have made your recovery a lot faster and with less ups and downs I'd have thought.

All in all you did well though and your resolve was admirable. Thanks for posting the story.

Good job,
Regards
Steve Lockhart

Kirsty

• Private Members
Re: When the SLM therapist became the patient
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »
Hi Steve,

Happy New Year!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply and thank you so much for your input.

Yes I did use lots of heat throughout and done lots of work on my glutes/hips but I didn't use the double ball so that's a lesson learnt. 

Also the brace would have been ideal and even now, even though I am pain free, it may give support whilst I am still carrying my little one.  Is there a make/product of back brace that you would recommend?

Many thanks
Kirsty